An Operator Training System from Siemens is worth considering in the following cases:
- Chemical or pharmaceutical process
- Process with many feedbacks and interconnections
- Process is complex
- New plant or control technology
- Frequent startup/shutdown of plant
- Many changes in product and/or load
- Personnel qualifications should be improved
- Faults and downtimes due to maloperations
- Frequent change in personnel
- Variations in production depending on shift workers
- Ratio of rejects too high
- Product quality or energy consumption can be improved through optimized operator prompting
- Testing of different operating strategies or control concepts
- Testing and checking of operating instructions
Using an Operator Training System (OTS), plant operators, plant engineers and product development engineers can train the operation of a production plant as well as the situation-dependent response to specific events in a safely controlled environment. The OTS for plant operators in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries can be compared with the flight simulator for pilots.
In order to make training as realistic as possible, the operator stations and the operator interfaces (process images) of the OTS from Siemens exactly map the real plant. Simulation includes the functions of the equipment and field devices as well as the process data.
The OTS from Siemens particularly features the following:
- Dynamic - the chemical or pharmaceutical plant is modeled dynamically.
- Tailored - plant operators or licensors integrate their operating experience into the training scenarios.
- Flexible - the process control system can be emulated completely or partially.
With its Premium Service "Operator Training System", Siemens allows you to individually adapt the OTS to the training requirements of the customer's respective plant.
The Premium Service "Operator Training System" consists of three modules which build upon each other and which can be ordered individually:
Determination, coordination and evaluation of aspects relevant to an OTS
- One-day workshop for qualitative evaluation of the practicability and advantages of an OTS
- Participants: Siemens experts and representatives of the client with profound knowledge of the process
- Discussion of the process with the client's experts, e.g. on the basis of process flowcharts and descriptions
- Presentation of basic OTS functionalities using different OTS types and examples
- Recording of possible process faults and failures, and identification of critical process steps
- Derivation of OTS tasks, and discussion of potential improvements, with consideration of the plant's special features, the qualification level of the operators, and typical operating modes and failures
- Result: Written documentation of the aspects and advantages elaborated in the workshop, and estimation of the practicability
Preparation of a feasibility study
- One-week feasibility study for detailed processing of an individual OTS (requirements, targets, options for improvement, basic structure)
- Participants: Siemens experts and representatives of the client
- Provision of the data required for planning the OTS by the client, e.g. process descriptions, flowcharts, process data, models, and model descriptions
- Analysis of all process steps, and selection of the plant components relevant to the OTS
- Investigation of existing process models, and testing of possible modeling approaches
- Discussion and selection of the training situations relevant to the OTS (startup/shutdown, changes in type and products, etc.), fault and failure scenarios
- Planning of the OTS architecture, and selection of suitable components
- Result: Detailed documentation of the planned OTS with the following contents:
- Design and implementation
- Scope of services and delivery
- Schedule and costs for implementation
- Savings potential
Implementation of the produced feasibility study
- Development and installation of an OTS based on the results provided in Modules 1 and 2
- Content is the subject of an individual agreement between client and contractor
- Basis for the individual agreement is a project-specific quotation provided by Siemens as the contractor
- Inquiries for production of a quotation should be directed to the address specified under "Further information"
The modules of the Premium Service "Operator Training System" do not include any traveling expenses. Traveling expenses from the Hoechst Industrial Estate, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, will be invoiced separately.
- Uniformly high training level for all plant operators
- Time savings during startup and with changes in production
- Improved plant availability
- Reduced production downtimes
- Correct, safe and fast response in event of faults
- Improved understanding of the process
- Optimized operator interventions
- Optimized control
- Safe mastering of control technology
- Improvements regarding retention of quality limits
Industry Automation Division
Industrial Automation Systems
Hoechst Industrial Estate, Building K801
Phone: +49 69 305 305 69
Additional information is available on the Internet at: